Monday 26 April 2010

Strumble Birds

It was far quieter at Strumble this morning after yesterday mornings spectacular fall of migrants reported by Adrian. When Adrian was busy counting the warblers on the way to the old coastguard lookout yesterday I probably saw the same hen merlin as he did but she was trying to 'take out' a hirundine without success past the obs building and over Ynys Michel. There was still a steady passage of hirundines and good numbers of goldfinch too. I saw a couple of whitethroats and skylarks. I saw 2 wheatear in the field on the way down to Strumble. 2 male stonechats were within feet of each other near the obs. building. I also had curlew or whimbrel not sure which but there were 17. If I was to put my money on it I would say there were 5 whimbrel going generally south and the others, which I think were curlew, were going north but far offshore.
There was a lot of porpoise activity in the area too this morning.