Sunday 25 March 2012

Brents - Dale & Gann, Saturday

45 or so Brents spent most of the low tide at Dale happily feeding and loafing - they seemed quite tame and oblivious to beach users. I was working in the Yacht Club and eventually manged to get down on the beach to look at them but with binoculars I was unable to get a close enough leg-ring identifying look. I went home for the telescope in the early afternoon but by that time the tide was coming in, they were getting twitchy and active and as soon as I got a glimpse of the rings they flew to the Gann. I tracked them down there and trudged across the mud flats in the wind with a heavy telescope, getting wet feet and eventually managed to read the rings. Only of course to find out later that DA had already done it! I counted 57 birds at the Gann in total. There were also a lot of Shelduck and Oystercatchers, both species looking resplendent in the bright sunlight. Still quite a few Curlew.
Rosemary