Wednesday 11 November 2015

Mission accomplished...

It's not very often I go out birding without some idea of what I'm looking for, don't always manage to find it though. Having not seen a Jack snipe this year (or last I think!) it was time to evict the spiders from my wellies and off to Dale airfield. Within 5 minutes of sploshing around the pond not one but two Jack snipe, kerching! Now what? Not the best conditions for a Lapland bunting but let's give it a go. This took a bit longer especially with the wind buffeting me around. But managed two sightings of Lapland buntings (possibly same bird twice) one w of pond, one sw of pond. Hookeses for a Black redstart next perhaps? A place I always look but still haven't found one there, and still haven't. Martin's Haven surely, so parking at Marloes mere I trudged down to Martins Haven feeling grateful for the cover from the hedgebanks, but my luck was out, no sign on any of the buildings just a lone Chiffchaff and a Grey wagtail. Checked out Trehill on the way back, nothing, but luck hadn't quite deserted me a Black redstart at Murchins Cottage by their recycling bins/fuel tank. Mission accomplished... Got a couple of days off, what next?