Friday 5 May 2017

St Davids Head am

As soon as I arrived I was aware that Swifts were moving and I ended up with a record day-count of 86 (3.5 hrs), just the tip of the iceberg I'm sure since some of the biggest groups were first thing and they could have been passing for some while before I arrived at 7:40. They were coming in from the west at the far head but many more on a flyway at the back of Whitesands and scattered to the City: so a broad front and inland for those arriving to the south - most of which I will have missed. (To put it in perspective, however, a friend has had 1000 Swifts over Walthamstow Reservoirs in London, this morning - but shows a national arrival?). Otherwise an almost equal number of Swallows and SandMartins with slightly fewer House Martins moving through. Two Cuckoos and a Spotted Flycatcher present. Non-breeding group of Choughs showing well.