Sunday 11 April 2010

Greenland W Front's -- Marloes Mere

Early am:-
I went to Marloes Mere early this morning hoping to catch the Green Winged Teal asleep before the area was swamped with people; no luck with gw teal. I did see the 16 white fronts, shoveler, teal, 7 white wags, chiffs, loads of sand martins, 3 wheatears, & female pochard.
I also met and had a very interesting conversation with Gary Prescott who is doing a 5,000 mile around Britain cycle ride visiting all the RSPB sites and raising money for charity. He apologized for "looking rough" as he had slept in one of the bird hides last night only realizing this morning that there is a youth hostel close by!! He mentioned his web site ( http://www.birdingbiker.co.uk/) Thought I'd visit The Gann while I was down there- 9 curlew, 3 redshank, 2 greenshank.
(Karen)