Saturday 22 November 2014

Marloes, Gann - again

Returned to Marloes Mere  with my scope to count the Lapwings properly - 563. Then 3 more flocks flew in containing a total of some 400, then another 30 dropped out of the sky as I left, so just over a 1,000 birds on the field at Trehill. 25 Shoveler, 5 Gadwall, 1 female Merlin were the other noteworthy`s.
On to the Gann, GN Diver offshore, then I started counting Med Gulls - quite distant on a flat sea - I  counted 60, then up to 70, then 80 before the light started going, then some from the rear started leap frogging, in the end I gave up as I was struggling to see in the twilight, certainly 60+ birds. On the way home I followed a Barn Owl up from Mullock Bridge for 100m or so, it seemed completely unfazed by my headlights behind it as it flew along the road in front of me. Was it using them to spot any potential meal?