Wednesday 17 June 2015

Fishguard and Marloes

From Gareth Jenkins - spent yesterday(16th) in Pembs boosting my yearly tick list !  All the usual auks, Kittiwake, Gannet , Shag, seen from the Deer Park looking out towards Skomer.  No Chough found though between 09.30 to 12.00, probably too much disturbance caused by the large number of people about.  Then from 13.00 Fishguard harbour, where I initially drew a blank on Black Guillemot. A local birder with a group of 4 others told me he thought the birds had departed after a failed breeding attempt this year.  They had been searching for BG since early morning and had seen none.  However, after a brief stop for coffee and a cake, I returned to the harbour and saw at 15.05 an adult bird in full summer plumage.  I watched it, mostly between the yellow buoy and yellow pontoon in the centre of the harbour, up to 15.40.  It dived several times but I didn`t see it catch or eat any fish or return to any nest hole. This is the reason I am emailing you.  I cannot comment on the accuracy of the information given by the local birder but I can advise that there is at least 1 adult bird still present.   

I returned to Marloes at 17.30 and had a family group of 8 Chough along the coastal path between the Deer Park and Marloes Mere.  And from 19.15 to 20.00 several dozen Manx Shearwater offshore and close to Skokholm island.  Also, during the day, at least 6 Painted Lady`s along the coastal fringe, and female Broad bodied Chaser and a female Black tailed Skimmer at Marloes Mere late afternoon/early evening. 

Regards and my congratulations to Steve Sutcliffe,