Sunday 1 November 2015

A pleasant afternoon

It started when 70 or so Fieldfares flew over the house at St Ishmaels & domesticity was abandoned - much to the chagrin of my good lady wife. Chucking the scope bins & camera in the car I was soon on the horizon & immersed in the wonder of blue skies,yellow autumn leaves and a refreshing breeze blowing through what is left of my once flowing hair. With Dave`s YBW yesterday at St Brides, I felt the need to investigate further -  only to find 2 Coal tits was nice enough not having seen any for year or two. On to another YBW  hotspot at Point house apple tree, where some 8 Goldcrests were feeding, to be joined by 17 passing Long Tailed Tits, again satisfying enough - on to the Gann where 7 Little Egrets,14 Redshank, 1 Greenshank & 2 Dunlin were present, finally I stopped at Mullock Bridge to watch thousands of Starlings head back to their roost but the odd moment of panic crept in & caused some confusion in their ranks, was it the Sparrow Hawk atop of  a bush I wondered ? No, it flew off & started attacking a RingTail Harrier! I returned home to a convivial wife (phew!) & a Sunday roast. Happy days!