Sunday 14 December 2008

Cattle Egret & other stuff

I looked for the Cattle Egret at Sandy Haven this morning (c. 10am), no sign at all, and having spoken to Derek who told me that his 3.15 sighting yesterday involved the bird flying in high from the South, I think we're talking just one bird unless we can prove beyond doubt otherwise.

Of interest, a very large flock of Lapwing at Capeston Farm (up to top of hill, turn left, to next right turn and in fields around this junction), I would estimate 4-500 but it was lashing with rain so not able to count properly.

At the Gann, 59 Teal which I think is a record count for me at this site, just 8 light-bellied Brent though. In the stubble field above and to the west of the lagoon, a large flock of Woodpigeon which based on a sample count I estimated to be around 800 - impressive! Also 3 Grey Plover at the Gann, 10+ Ringed Plover, several Redshank and two male Goldeneye (along with several females) doing the classic head back 'jousting' - fantastic. Finished off with a rainbow, which was nice. (I then went off to do a Santa Run, which wasn't as nice but more fun!)