Wednesday 24 December 2008

Cattle Egret(s) & The Gann (unrelated!)

Spurred on by Derek's Cattle Egret sighting at Philbeach this morning, mid-afternoon I was able to get out, and headed off S/W from Haverfordwest. A single Little Egret in the 'Cott's Farm' field mentioned below but no Cattle Egret, however further down the lane towards Sandy Haven I was pleased to find a Cattle Egret and a Little Egret in the field above the Chapel next to Sandy Haven Pill. Good I thought, this must mean that the Philbeach bird is different, so I went straight there - no Cattle Egret. I still suspect they are different, but it remains unproven as yet.

At the Gann a red-head Red-breasted Merganser, 20 pale-bellied Brents, 2 Grey Plover, a Bar-wit (new) 9 Goldeneye, a Kingfisher, 7 Great-crested Grebes (an increase) and at least 3 adult Med Gulls in amongst the gull roost (which was very distant).

Seasons greetings everyone - Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda.