Monday 15 December 2008

Cattle Egrets

Interesting update Clive. With regard to the Sandy Haven bird, it didn't appear to have as much of a peachy wash on the crown as the Angle bird, though only your latest pic shows how extensive this is (on most of Richard's it doesn't look as extensive). Similar comment with the breast 'smudge', not obvious on many of the Angle pics but clearly visible on the latest pic - I did not note this on the Sandy Haven bird. The Angle bird has obvious head plumes, I did not notice them on the Sandy Haven bird. I will qualify this and say that I did not see the SH bird as close as the Angle views evidently are, and I haven't seen it since 27th October so it may look a little different now, but that would seem unlikely. Re. bill, two of Lyndon's pics show a dark tip but that is just mud, my description of the SH bill was "whole bill orangey, with some smudged pale brown along the centre of the upper and lower mandible" which would seem to be different from your bird, though again, distance is a factor we should be wary of. Anything I've missed?

As you say, we need to have an extensive look for the SH bird and locate it during the day with a simultaneous sighting of the Angle bird to be absolutely sure, but it does look more like two birds from your additional information and photo.