Monday 23 February 2009

Marloes area - WW Gull and Marsh Harrier

I had the whole coast path from Marloes to Wooltack Point to myself this morning - not a soul in sight! Not an awful lot of birds either to tell the truth but those seen were nice ones. 9 Chough in all and a pair of Peregrines. On rocks just below Wooltack Point there was a first winter white winged Gull which was a little distant to pin down through the bins but I erred towards Glaucous.
In Jack Sound there were c.120 Kittiwakes and then walking back towards Marloes by Rath Cottage I had a fly past Marsh Harrier -a immature/female bird which could be the same one I saw at Catlemartin Corse yesterday and seen again early this morning by Richard Dobbins.
As I approached the hide at Marloes Mere all the ducks got up and I saw a Buzzard quickly followed by (yes you guessed it) a Marsh Harrier - no doubt the same bird seen 20 mins or so before. The Harrier briefly quartered the marsh before soaring and drifting off south east. On the mere the usual assortment of birds - 5 Little Grebes (a pair courting in front of the hide), 6 Gadwall, 70 Teal, 30 Mallard, 28 Wigeon, loads of very noisy Canada Geese, 2 Buzzards.
A quick look at the Gann was a bit of a waste of time with the tide right out but there were 12 Brents and 6 Goldeneye.