Saturday 14 February 2009

New breeding bird for Tynewydd



Ok, not a great picture or a rare bird! but new birds for my "garden list" are few and far between. Along with my "swimming pool" list it is the only list I keep, so the twitchers amongst you will see its real merit as a "Domestic Mega"!!!

Birders of my generation will remember this critter was the subject of some of the first twitches as a new arrival to our shores in the 1950's. Back in the late 70's , early 80's whilst with Cambrian Bird Holidays, it was still something of a scarcity in West Wales. I see them daily below us in Goodwick but until now, they have not been seen up the hill as far as here. I wonder if they are absent anywhere else or was mine the last real pioneer?

The fact that it has been seen to feed on the seedheads remaining on our Buddleia was a nice bit of behavioural stuff and also the fact that it is in the process of nestbuilding presents a dilemma.

In the past when living in more gentle climes where these pastel pidgeons were prolifferating, I remember one very bad thing about them. The early morning wake up call, loud, persistent and as insistent as a banshee being strangled.

Of course with increased biodiversity come checks and balances. Sparrowhawks were also rare in my youth but not so rare now...

By the way well done Ray, good (if sad) to know the furry critter was a young otter! also forgot to mention the other day that there was quite a passage of auks heading south on Thursday morning at Strumble, with groups of up to fifty passing every few minutes. I estimated over 1000, in the hour I was there from 11 to noon, allthingsgood, cliff