Monday 21 December 2009

Bosherston Lakes - pm

During the usual monthly WeBs count today, nothing especially numerous but goosander numbers have risen to 20 (interestingly 10 males and 10 females, some still possibly paired - I wonder if they have had a poor breeding season)? Goldeneye numbers had risen to 22 and little grebes to not less than 18. Most of the other species were in fairly low numbers. I think Bosherston is probably the only place that know where I can watch birds through binoculars with a robin perched on them, or on my wrist, as I scan the waterfowl etc. I guess most of you probably know what I mean and have also had this experience!

Comparing this weeks count with one I did this same week 25 years ago, the only major differences were 98 coot today (291 coot in Dec 1984). No pochard today (59 in Dec 1984 - soon to rise to 150+ by the years end)! There were no goosanders in Dec 1984 - they were rather rare and exceptional 25 years ago. It will have to get quite a bit colder I feel for coot and pochard numbers to get back to the levels they used to reach.