Saturday 27 October 2012

Woodlark

Having finished a morning's shift at St Davids Hd I thought I'd call in at Heathfield GP on my way home. A couple of Goldeneye, 3 Wigeon and 3 Tufted Duck added to Wigeon, Teal, Shovelers and the usual Scaup at Penberi esarlier. A day for arriving wildfowl but only a Merlin at the Hd otherwise. As I trudged to the car at about 1:25pm I vaguely heard a distant disyllabic 'too eet' and saw a bird drop somewhere near the parking area. Clearly no pipit, I didn't recognise the call so wondered about a bunting, again couldn't really think of one and almost didn't bother. Thankfully I did and stumped across for a look. Apparently from the concrete area, a bird flew up now quite close and called repeatedly an instantly recognisable 'tirriileep' call of a Woodlark. I had plenty of time to grill its distinctive shape as it slowly made its rather bouncy way east. Absolutely superb.