Tuesday 11 June 2013

Ty Rhyg -- sightings

Hope this is the correct proceedure to report sightings - but I just wanted to report a fly through female Montagu's Harrier that I had at Ty Rhyg Plantation on the morning of the 4th June. I picked the bird coming in from the North West and watch the bird fly low South West through the plantation in a direct flight at 10:40hrs. Bird came close and I got excellent views as it past through.
 
I wanted to see some Willow tits, but to no avail, however the Monty's more than made up for it! I was impressed the Ty Rhyg too with siskin, crossbill (3 seen) and good numbers lesser redpoll seen.
 
I had been staying on Skokholm the previous 3 nights (31st to the 3rd) and was just doing some local birding before heading back to Somerset. Pembrokeshire looked stunning last week. My father was from Letterston, so always enjoy coming back to visit this wonderful county.

(James Phillips)