Monday 22 October 2018

Bird Brain

 Just a theory but a thought has crossed my mind (I know - not the greatest of journeys!)  that first Whooper this morning was, number 1 "He" arrived first, checked out their haunts then flew down to the Gann & stood at the water's edge. He was actively looking at the sky expecting to see the others. By not being on the river he had a good view & could be seen by the others, he didn't stay on the stubble because he knew the others would be approaching from a direction that would lend him the greatest visual advantage. I never saw 2 & 3 arrive but they were all on the sea & there they stayed for the time I was there, not even going near the river which is heir usual haunt. At dusk I found them back on the stubble at Dale settling down for the evening, still three in number.
So, it's obvious & a well known fact that Swans are sensitive creatures &have strong ties but if they're still here tomorrow will they continue continue to keep an eye out for number four or just accept that he might just splash down & be welcomed back?  Maybe number 4 has struck out on his / her own but it is still missed by the rest. I find it all immensely fascinating but sadly I will be at work tomorrow & won't see anything till late afternoon.