Monday 21 January 2019

Divers at Little Haven and St Brides, Scaup at Marloes Mere

After Steve Jones's post yesterday, I thought I'd go have a look for these divers at Little Haven. I didn't quite expect to see as many, as close in as I did! Around mid-afternoon, just south of Little Haven, between Musselwick and Goultrop Roads, there were 2 Great Northern Divers, 5 Red-throated Divers and 1 Black-throated Diver. 5 unidentified divers were a bit further out. Also out in the bay were 2 Shag, 2 Guillemot and 1 2cy Iceland Gull. A Red Kite was also circling quite far out above the bay.

Next I stopped in at St Brides. No sign of the recently seen Black Redstart, but plenty of Meadow pipits and Rock pipits feeding on the beach with 12 Turnstone. Out in the bay there were 2 Great Northern Divers and 1 Red-throated Diver.

Finally, I stopped in at Marloes Mere. It was pretty windy by this point so everything was mostly tucked away. Briefly saw the drake Pintail, but had good views of 2 Scaup (drake and female) which were with 4 Tufted Ducks. Later on at dusk, 1 Ringtail Hen Harrier, 1 Merlin, 1 Peregrine and 1 Buzzard all made an appearance within a 15 minute period.


James