Thursday 19 November 2020

Spotted redshank - a tale of the '45

Looking to try out Richard C's scope with 45 eyepiece (kindly loaned while I consider an upgrade) I headed first for Kilpaison this morning - not a bird to be seen, just windsurfers. With the onshore wind at Kilpaison Angle Harbour was a better bet anyway, and there was a sizeable roost on the spit of c.250 black-tailed godwit, 100 dunlin, a few brents, shelduck...and this spotted redshank, well pushed in among the godwit. Every time I got a view, another godwit got in the way. Eventually, excellent views. I was saved from taking too many pictures, or checking everything else, by a man with dog who walked straight past me and down the spit, scaring everything off. 


(so full marks to 45 eyepiece!)





Back home, a marsh tit made a rare visit to the bird feeders - they only seem to drop in every few months.