Wednesday 21 April 2021

Marloes Mere

 A lovely early morning walk at Marloes Mere in the hope of finding the Yellow Wagtail that was reported yesterday began with the sound of my first Whitethroat of the year greeting me as soon as I opened the car door. The number of Sedge Warblers seems to be growing. I counted 3 today, compared to only 1 at the end of last week and it was good to see a Stonechat, another Whitethroat and a pair of Chiffchaffs, and to see several white wagtails in the ploughed fields nearby.

Eventually, around 9 am, as I was about to leave, I had one last look from the steps of the Britton Hide to see if there was any sign of the Yellow Wagtail and there it was in just the same place as it was reported yesterday in the ploughed field behind it.


It was great to see this really smart male Reed Bunting on the way back.