Saturday 17 April 2021

Preseli Hills and elsewhere

 I took advantage of the great weather to spend much of the day birding, and was rewarded with some wonderful moments.

Starting at Rosebush in the early morning, and walking round Pantmaenog, the highlights were a male Redstart and the unexpected sound of a Grasshopper Warbler reeling below the main path past the Quarries. It seemed as if Willow Warblers were everywhere, and a number of Siskin also flew over.

A short trip to Glynaeron Wood also proved productive. As I stood at the entrance gate, looking at a sign which said "Stop. Go no further", I heard a munching sound and soon noticed a very close Crossbill, which gave great views.



I also had short visits to Llangloffan Fen, where it was good to hear a Cetti's Warbler and Fishguard Lower Town, where it was good to catch up with my first Dipper of the year, before returning home,