Monday 20 September 2021

alba wags

 

David has answered Cliff's alba wagtail query. 

Just to confirm my approach to recording these. When I'm uncertain of the identity of the subspecies concerned - Pied Motacilla alba yarrellii or the White nominate M. alba alba - I record them as “alba” wags. Unfortunately, due to distance and light, it was not possible to confirm all seen at Angle on Sunday in a small flock to subspecies level. 

I don't know if we see "hybrids" in Pembs., but I do recall in May at Stackpole (a few years ago) watching a very smart male M. a. alba attempting to mate with a female  M.a. yarrellii. A male of the UK subspecies was having quite a hard time driving it off! Mixed pairs have been recorded previously in Scotland, in the Northern Isles and the Hebrides (Birds in Scotland 1986).  

Bob