Saturday 14 May 2022

Brynberian Moor

Made the most of fine weather to pay another visit and check a bit more of the of moor. A really intriguing visit as well. 2 possibly 3 Whinchat - they were ranging quite widely so hard to be sure. I sat and watched one holding territory for about 20minutes as it moved between preferred perches, just when I thought I'd got it's next move sussed, it flew quite some distance and started to sing in a different area.  

Cuckoos very active with at least 3 male and a female, with lots of interaction between multiple birds including 2 males chasing a female and inturn being chased by pipits. A Common Snipe flushed under my feet in some rough vegetation, I looked as carefully as I could, without being too intrusive, for any sign of nesting and made a mental note of the area and will try and have another look in the coming weeks. Redstart on the edge of a stone walled enclosure clad by laburnum. 8 Swift screaming over the moor. 10 Whitethroat, 3 Reedbunting, a Wheatear, a Sedge warbler, a Red kite and the buzzy trill of passing Redpoll. Lots of Green hairsteak with quite a few pairs spiralling around an isolated willow.