The Baird's sandpiper was in the regular spot by the trough runway pools at 9am. Unfortunately just as I'd spotted it, a couple of snipe spotted me, causing a ripple of leaving waders! At least 12 snipe, 11 ringed plover, 4 ruff (1 reeve), a redshank and a green sandpiper, and 3 teal. All appeared to head over the field behind the trough apart from the green sandpiper that headed for the pond. Heavy rain arrived so I moved away in the hope of finding some shelter which is never easy here. Another group of ringed plover on the stoney field otherwise no more waders on the other runways. Approaching the blackthorn scrub the terr, terr, terr of a very vocal Dartford warbler could be heard but despite it calling for 5-10minutes I only got a couple of fleeting views. The frustration continued with a silent willow-type warbler that refused to call or show well. Just whitethroats and stonechat the only other birds in the scrub. 100s of pipits and wagtails, a yellow wagtail called but couldn't see it. 2-3 whinchat, 4 young wheatear. Kestrel and buzzard hunting around. There were no waders on the pools on my return, the ruff were in the damp field behind the pools and I could hear ringed plover calling somewhere close by, it turned out these were on the out of bounds section of the runway with the big tyres that heads in the direction of the farm, whilst scanning the plovers the Baird's came in to view all looked quite settled as they scuttled around the runway.

