Monday, 10 August 2026

West Williamston marsh harrier!

A cautious trip down to the shore with my new hip - my first in over 6 weeks. I was sitting on the memorial benches, looking across at the black swan and idly hoping for an early osprey, when a female marsh harrier flew past low over the salt marsh, downstream in the direction of Lawrenny. It had a go at a passing curlew. All over too fast for a photo. Clearly a female from size and build, almost certainly a juvenile from clean brown upperparts and small white cap. I didn't dare proceed any further as the path gets very uneven.

I've been waiting for a harrier here for 34 years, if anything expecting it to be a winter hen harrier. Coverage at WW isn't too bad actually, though in the summer months there can be little to see and lepidopterists outnumber birders.

The black swan helped pass the time