Sunday 5 February 2023

A non-jumpy Jack

Jack Snipe has a slightly odd nickname of 'Jacky Jumper', as you don't see them until you nearly tread on them so the very last thing they do is jump.  Such was my latest encounter at Crabhall this morning, when I managed to flush one returning from a walk over the Gann.  So this evening, when Lisa and I returned for a second walk, I was determined to go really slowly, and look really carefully, along the same stretch of track.  So imagine my surprise when I walk right past it, but the eagle-eyed Lisa spotted it and thankfully it continued to freeze still whilst I retraced my steps.  The first ever Jack Snipe I have seen on the ground in 35 years of living in Pembrokeshire!  It really is a subtle, stripey, think of beauty....



Yesterday, Lisa had a Firecrest at Crabhall and another in the overhanging scrub south of the Gann car park, and the Eider was still in the bay along with 3 Great-crested Grebe.

Also yesterday, a nice tour of the Cleddau Estuary with Carwyn Jones, highlights included over 100 Pintail at Angle Bay (and another 9 at Sprinkle Pill, 2 colour-ringed Black-headed Gulls at Angle Bay (both appear to be British, details awaited), and an Otter at Pembroke River.  Most surprising of all was a Saker (or hybrid) at Sprinkle Pill, which scattered thousands of birds across the estuary but failed to catch anything. The sheer number of waders here was a sight to behold.