Saturday 3 February 2024

Castlemartin Corse

I was determined to cover all bases this morning so was parked by 08.15, on the Corse by 08.30. By 0845 I'd seen the female marsh harrier and huge numbers of lapwing and golden plover upstream - impossible to count the shape-shifting flocks, but estimates revised upwards to 1500 lapwing and 1000 goldies. Plus small parties of lapwing were constantly on the move at the western end.

The pallid harrier appeared at 08.50 just as I was about to turn down to the hide. It appeared from the Gupton fields direction, flew past me and turned right (upstream) at the hide. It was evidently doing the rounds as I saw it at roughly half-hourly intervals thereafter. The misty conditions with light breeze evidently to its liking. At 09.20 it appeared from behind the hide (S) and flew directly over it, once again disappearing to the E. It appeared again at 09.50, just as Sandra and Vaughan from Neyland were approaching along the main track. This time it headed across the Corse. It approached from the E at 10.10, its coming signalled by huge numbers of duck (teal, shoveler, mallard) flying W. A new arrival* at the hide had just finished setting up his massive camera as it did so, impeccable timing. I left at 10.30. 

*PS just realised this was Richard Stonier whom I last met looking at glossy ibis in Marloes in 2011, apologies for not recognising you.

The conditions well beyond the capabilities of my camera but these were my record shots of upper and lower surfaces. The first shot appears to show some moult in progress?